Monday, March 22, 2010

possible perfection

There's a fairly long checklist of things I'd want in a man. I'm picky, choosy, and difficult to please. I guess I'm waiting for the right person at the right time - but aren't we all?

I've stumbled across someone who...reminds me of some of the things that I wanted in a man; who reminds me by being them. Things I'd forgotten were important to me, and things I hadn't realized I wanted. I'm not saying this is going anywhere, I'm just saying maybe it's time I put that list of things I want into writing.

He doesn't have to be a pushover, but has to be able to see my point of view and accept where I'm coming from. I need someone who makes me understand I'm the only woman in his life, but without being overly burdensome and clingy - just solid, and consistently there; someone who puts me first when it's right to do so, and has me at the forefront of his mind, rather than doing things solely to please himself.

Romantic. Not candle light dinner romantic, not champagne and caviar. Blankets under the stars in the summer, words that have some depth and meaning behind them, promises that aren't made for the sake of making promises.

Steadfast. I want, need, and deserve someone who knows his own mind - who doesn't waiver when he sees what he wants, and works to make it his. Who isn't afraid to let me know what he's thinking or feeling and isn't afraid to tell me he won't let me disappear, or he'll do his damnedest to keep me from doing so. I could write a novel on the idea of steadfastness, and how it's been lacking in my relationships for a very long time. It's something I'm worth having - I'm worth a man who knows what he wants and sticks to that.

Old fashioned. I'm tired of throwing myself away with people who aren't worth it. I'm tired of rushing into things with the wrong people at the wrong times. I want a gentleman who's comfortable with taking things slowly, and respects me enough to do so. Someone who has some self restraint and isn't afraid or displeased to use it.

Laid back and funny. I'm neurotic - I'm high strung and not what one would term easy going. I need someone by my side who IS easy going and laid back; someone who can just laugh and hold me when I get wound up so tightly I might just fly apart. The funny part is self explanatory - I need someone who can make me laugh; I think almost everyone does.

Financially responsible. I'm tired of being the one to support the people I'm dating. I'm not looking to be supported, and I'm not looking to support someone else ever again.

Personally responsible. I don't feel like being someone's substitute mother - I'm tired of doing household chores for the people I date, and of bending over backwards to make their lives easier when they rarely lift a finger to do the same. I deserve better. I will have better.

Conservative, and strong - comfortable and capable with firearms. Not gun or trigger happy, just competent and at ease.

I really just want a laid back southern man who thinks the world of me, and isn't afraid to admit to it. It appears I might just have one.

No comments: